The purpose of a new office created under U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services is to review the status of people to whom denaturalization may apply.

If you are a naturalized citizen, could the new USCIS department find cause to question you? If the worst should happen and the government denaturalizes you, would this affect the status of your spouse or children?

Explaining denaturalization

The number of denaturalization cases have increased considerably just within the past two years. The Department of Justice filed 305 such cases between 1990 and 2017. However, the DOJ has flagged more than 2,500 cases for review since January 2017.

There are certain conditions under which the United States government can take away your citizenship. The federal authorities can denaturalize you if they find that you affiliate with, or become a member of, a terrorist group, the Communist Party or another totalitarian party within 10 years of filing your naturalization application or within five years thereafter.

Hiding or misrepresenting facts

Denaturalization can also occur if the federal government finds that you concealed or misrepresented a material fact when you applied for U.S. citizenship. This could either have taken place orally during your naturalization interview or in writing when you completed your application.

Affecting family

If your spouse or child became a U.S. citizen when you were naturalized, they would lose their citizenship if you are subject to denaturalization according to certain conditions set forth by the federal government. However, your immediate family members would not lose citizenship if the government revokes yours because you procured your naturalization illegally.

Fighting for citizenship

Keep in mind that in seeking to revoke your citizenship, the federal government must rely upon “proof beyond reasonable doubt.” For example, you may have made an honest mistake on your application for naturalization. Given the complexity of U.S. immigration and naturalization laws, that would not be hard to do. Explore your legal options. You and your family may just need an experienced advocate to help you remain good citizens of the United States.