When unmarried partners in Michigan decide to part ways, they often divide household and personal items. However, when there are children involved, and both parents want custody, the situation becomes more complicated. At Bazzi Law, PLC, we often assist fathers in defending their parenting rights.

According to FindLaw, biological parents may seek child custody or visitation regardless of marital status at the time of the child’s birth. Courts typically prefer that both parents take an active part in their child’s life. If you are a father and your child’s mom does not want to share custody, you must establish paternity to have access to father’s rights.

Once you have legal recognition as the biological father, you may negotiate a parenting plan. This document is a schedule of which parent your child lives with, spends time with and when. It may also include a variety of details about other aspects of his or her life:

  • Who has physical and legal custody?
  • Who makes educational, religious and health care decisions?
  • How are modifications made?

If you and your ex cannot agree on a parenting plan, the courts may mandate a schedule, focusing on the best interest of the child. The court may also determine child support as part of the arrangement. Even if your child’s mom does not accept a parenting plan, you can submit one for the judge’s consideration.

Fathers who seek primary custody must show that the mother is unfit. An experienced legal professional can help you create a plan that works for your schedule and benefits your child. Visit our webpage for more information on this topic.